2015-09-05

THE ALPHABET CLUB - LETTER "B"

Hello dear friends and followers,

it has been a loooong, hot summer here in Austria and with the start of September autumn has finally arrived. So it did not take me long to come up with a "B"-word for my contribution to the Alphabet Club this month. For details of this fun club please click on the icon to the right. The word that I chose for this month is:

BLUTZER


So what have...


... these three pieces of stitching...


... in common?

Your guess was right, there is a pumpkin on each of them! So the word you learned today is used in wide parts of Austria for the standard German word "Kürbis".

As pumpkins tend to be round and sometimes quite large, it is also used for the human head, especially a rather large one. For example for "I hit my head" (Ich habe mir den Kopf angehauen) you could say "I hob ma den blutzer anghaut".

Pumpkins are widely grown here in Austria and used to cook wonderful autumnal dishes. The Styrian Oil Pumpkin is not grow for its fruit pulp, but for its seeds, that are used to obtain the "Styrian Gold" - pumpkin seed oil.


It may sound a little strange at first, but one delicious way to eat it is to pour some over vanilla ice cream, yummy!!

Your can also roast the seeds and eat them for a healthy snack, the come salted, with cinnamon or vanillia or chili...

And to give one of you the chance to taste them, I decided to have a little giveaway this month:


A packet of roasted and salted pumpkin seeds from an organic farm only a few kilometres from where I live. If you are interested, please leave a comment saying that you would like to receive them. If there will be more than one entry, the winner will be randomly chosen.

So I wish a wonderful and hopefully sunny autumn to all of you out there, and if you're living in the southern hemisphere, have a lovely spring!

9 comments:

  1. Wow! I love the sound of the pumpkin oil on ice cream - I would love to try these seeds, so if you are willing to post to Australia, I am in! Isn't detention fun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I forgot to say how gorgeous your stitching is, too. I especially like piece #2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stitchery is fabulous, I really like the Autumn piece! Pumpkin oil on ice cream sounds delicious, my Dad used to delight us with salted sunflower seeds on vanilla ice cream when I was little. I'd love to try the pumpkin seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pumpkin oil, I'm curious about that and ready to try seeds! Love the black bird on your first stitching he seems to be saying : come on try to get one. xxx Grüße

    ReplyDelete
  5. Das ist auch für mich ein interessantes Wort. Ich kenne viele österreichische Wörter, aber an dieses kann ich mich nicht erinnern. Toller Beitrag für B. Und so schöne Kürbis-Stickereien!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful stitching and interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Silvia for visiting my blog. I really like your pumpkin stitching specially the first one.
    Apparently eating dried seeds is very common here in Kuwait, I have tried sunflower and melon ones. But never heard of pumpkin oil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. I love your three connected designs. Interesting B word too.
    I have never heard of pumpkin oil either. This is a most educational blog hop!

    ReplyDelete